Quarterly Markets Review - Q3 2015
A look back at markets in Q3 2015 when a slowdown in China sparked concern over the global growth outlook and led to significant stockmarket volatility.
- Global equities declined amid worries about the economic slowdown in China and the implications for global growth. Emerging market equities underperformed developed markets.
- The US Federal Reserve’s decision to defer ‘lift off’ of interest rates was a key moment in the quarter and exacerbated the sense of uncertainty in markets.
- In the eurozone, the autos sector came under severe pressure after revelations that VW had misled regulators on emissions from diesel vehicles.
- Japanese equities suffered amid weaker-than-expected data for Japan’s economy. Stocks were further pressured as the yen saw inflows due to its perceived ‘safe haven’ status.
- Weak Chinese economic data was a drag on emerging markets while Brazil was also a focus as S&P Ratings downgraded the country’s debt to non-investment grade.
- The third quarter was broadly positive for global bonds, as commodity price weakness and fears over global economic growth led investors to seek out ‘safe havens’.
This communication is marketing material. The views and opinions contained herein are those of the named author(s) on this page, and may not necessarily represent views expressed or reflected in other Schroders communications, strategies or funds.
This document is intended to be for information purposes only and it is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. The material is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Schroder Investment Management Ltd (Schroders) does not warrant its completeness or accuracy.
The data has been sourced by Schroders and should be independently verified before further publication or use. No responsibility can be accepted for error of fact or opinion. This does not exclude or restrict any duty or liability that Schroders has to its customers under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (as amended from time to time) or any other regulatory system. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in the document when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions.
Past Performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of investments and the income from them may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amounts originally invested. Exchange rate changes may cause the value of any overseas investments to rise or fall.
Any sectors, securities, regions or countries shown above are for illustrative purposes only and are not to be considered a recommendation to buy or sell.
The forecasts included should not be relied upon, are not guaranteed and are provided only as at the date of issue. Our forecasts are based on our own assumptions which may change. Forecasts and assumptions may be affected by external economic or other factors.
Issued by Schroder Unit Trusts Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Registered Number 4191730 England. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.